Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Friday, January 29, 2010

Bread Baking - New Recipe!

Mike's mom, Jeanette, passed this recipe on to me a few weeks back and I finally had time this Friday to test it out.  She said she was given the recipe when she attended a cooking class in Skagway way back when they lived there!

My Kitchen Aid bowl was almost not big enough, do they make larger bowls?  I think I need one!



Dissolve 2 TBS (2 pkgs) yeast with 1/2 cup warm water.
Set aside.
Blend 8 TBS Honey
3 1/2 cup warm water
4 cup wheat flour


Add yeast to blended mixture and Beat with mixer for 3-5 minutes.
This is called sponging.
Let this set for 1 hour.



Add 2/3 cup oil
3 tsp salt
6 cup wheat flour gradually


 

knead out with white flour. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.




 
shape into loaves and let raise until double


bake in 375-400 degree oven for approx. 20-30 minutes.


makes 4 loaves



These turned out awesome!  They weren't as dense as my other wheat bread recipes, nice and moist and not at all doughy.  VERY good.  I will make this again next week!  Thank you Jeanette!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This looks really good. I also like baking bread with honey in it. It just seems healthier.
Also, it looks like you have the same kind of kitchen aide mixer as I do, the professional one that costco sells. I can't imagine if they sell a bigger sized bowl, but they might. I know you can by extra bowls for it on the kitchen aide website.
And I was also wondering what the mug was doing in the oven. Does it have water in it or something? Just curious.

Olivia Orsborn said...

yes, the mug I put hot water in with the bread while it rises in the warm oven (I turn the oven on for a minute then turn it off) and put my bread in to rise with a mug of hot water - it seems to help with the rising, and keep the dough from getting too dry while rising.